Thursday, October 10, 2013

Reflection

As I take this week and I prepare myself to run my third marathon I have taken the time to reflect upon the past year and what it has brought me.

It’s true I went through some pretty rough times this past year, M moved out of our apartment and I for the first time ever I found myself living on my own and this was a very scary thought to me since I have always had a roommate. Much to my surprise I enjoy the freedom of living on my own.  

Though this year brought me hardships and heartbreak it also brought me amazing friends and new experiences.

I truly believe that I got through all the hardships that were thrown at me this past year because of running and the friends I have made through running. Running instilled in me the confidence and determination I needed to make it through this past year.  

There were so many days I found myself laying on my bathroom floor crying my eyes out in full backslide mode and then I would look at my running shoes and they would be screaming at me to put them on and I would go for a run and my head would be more clear and my heart would be less heavy. There were days I would run until no more tears could fall from my eyes. Running was my safe place, my haven.

Now as I set out on my third marathon I find my heart heavy again. Not because of sadness this time but because of joy, pure joy from the support I am getting from every one of you. It is because of your support, your love and your acceptance that I have been able to push forward through this year and come out on top.

I can’t wait to cross the finish line at Nike again. Not just because of the firefighters or because of the Tiffany’s necklace but because of that feeling of joy you can only get from accomplishing a task months in the making. It is true what they say, running is a lesson in life because you get out of it what you put in.


See you all on the start line.  

No comments:

Post a Comment