Thursday, May 26, 2016

Is this possible, I work on the Hill

I’ve been trying for a month to write my feelings, however, words cannot express how I feel. As I sit in my apartment in Ottawa I often find myself overcome with emotion.

I accepted a position this summer with the Liberal Party of Canada as a member of their Leadership program. This in itself is a HUGE achievement; they received 4,000 applications and only had 130 positions.

I’ve spent most of my life not feeling enough – not good enough, not smart enough, not white enough, not wealthy enough.

My mom essentially raised me as a single parent, my father was around but absent. He was an alcoholic who was extremely abusive so this caused my mom to raise myself and my siblings in women shelters. This made me feel ashamed, oh so ashamed.

I was the girls who always desired a career in politics but I felt that was so far out of my reach because of everything I lacked. Luckily I had people around me who saw my potential and pushed me to pursue my dreams, pushed me to be better.


I am the first Blackfoot to work on the Hill, I am the first member of my family to work on the Hill. This is only the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment