Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fuel Your Body Properly

It is no secret that I have suffered from eating disorders, I am very open about this part of my life. I believe my openness helps me not to have a relapse. 

I would starve myself and go to swim practice or the gym and expect my body to be able to function off of next to no calories.

I also went through a time when I ate WHATEVER I wanted too and hoped I wouldn't gain weight, yeah that doesn't happen.

Our bodies are like a car, but we only get one in our whole life. We have to maintain this car, make sure it runs well and give it proper fuel.

Maintaining our car would be taking care of ourselves. Getting regular check-up's to make sure that we are running properly, stretching out the muscles after a workout, getting proper rest. We all take our cars in for regular maintenance especially if they are brand new. When we drive our cars if we hear a noise, or there is something not right going on with our car we bring it in to get fixed. It actually surprises me how much I hear people say "I hurt (said body part" I say "have you gone to get it looked at" they say "No, I think it will heal"! That is a mistake people. My physio explained to me that people when they are born are at 100% and as we age and get small injuries our bodies go down. If you take care of yourself you can stay around that 80% zone. People that are in tuned with their bodies will feel pain a lot sooner than someone who isn't and they will, or should, get injury looked at. Get proper treatment and you can go back up to 80% don't and you'll go up and down, like the stock market at the moment, from feeling better to injury. Gradually the time between feeling better and injury will get less and less. Treat your body like that brand new car. I know it seems tedious but it will help. Take myself for example. I got planters fascistic a few months back. I went to the physio ASAP he took me off running for a week and now I am back and strong. If I didn't go and just hoped for it to go away I would probably be in some serious pain right now. Take care of your body it is the only one you have.

Fueling the car. There is a place not far from my house and it has cheap gas. Rumor has it that gas is so cheap because the gas is dirty.Would I ever put this into my car, of course not. It would cause my car to breakdown. Why is it that we give the best to our cars, but when it comes to our bodies we put whatever we want in it? We don't think of the repercussions of putting bad food into our bodies. Take a moment next time you are about to get MacDonald's or Fat Burger and think of what it will do to your body.

Lets try taking as good of care of our bodies as we do our cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment