Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Keeping Hydrated While Running

Staying hydrated is critical to running performance and, more importantly, for preventing heat-related illnesses. Dehydration in athletes may lead to fatigue, headaches, decreased coordination, and muscle cramping. Other heat-related illnesses, such as heat exhaustion and heatstroke, have even more serious consequences. Either way running when not properly hydrated will have effects on your ability to run. Runners need to pay attention to what and how much they’re drinking before, during and after exercise.

When I am doing a long run (more than 8 to 10 miles), it's important to make sure you're well-hydrated during the few days leading up to your long run. I always know when I am well-hydrated because of the amount of times I go to the bathroom. In the days leading up to my long run, I drink plenty of water and nonalcoholic fluids, these fluids include milk, tea, water. Alcohol will dehydrate you, but it can also prevent you from getting a good night's sleep. It's not a good idea to run with a hangover because you'll most likely be dehydrated when you start running. I've committed to no alcohol while training.

An hour before I start my run, I try to drink about 16 ounces of water or other non-caffeinated fluid. To make sure I am hydrated before starting my run, I drink another 4 to 8 ounces right before I take off.

The current advice about running and hydration is very simple -- try to drink to thirst. Scientific evidence says that drinking when you're thirsty can help prevent underhydrating (which can lead to dehydration) and overhydrating, which can lead to hyponatremia (low blood salt level due to abnormal fluid retention).

During longer workouts (90 minutes or more), some of your fluid intake should include a sports drink (like G2, this is my personal favorite) to replace lost sodium and other minerals (electrolytes). The carbohydrates and electrolytes in the sports drink also help you absorb the fluids faster. Always make sure you are replacing your electroylytes. I actually ended up with an inbalance because of this and believe me it is not a fun recovery process.

Don't forget to rehydrate after your run. I have a little trick to getting rehydrated. I weight myself before my run and after my run, while I stand on the scale I drink water until I am back to my before the run race. Any pounds you lose while running is water weight unless you ran off 3,500 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment