Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Once upon a time ago I wanted to look like Barbie, these days I want to look like Wonder Women


I recently just read a blog post about how little girls spend the first 10 years of their lives playing with Barbie than the rest of their life trying to look like Barbie. This broke my heart because I know the truth behind this statement.

For years of my life I admired Barbie. I wanted pale skin and long blond hair. I am anything but pale; when the first rays of summer hit me I look like I could be Molato. I have dark almost black hair, it used to be long but years of chlorine damage and dying it blonde has caused me to cut it super short. I have dark eyes, if you look at them in the right light they are black, but from a young age I started wearing color contacts to disguise my brown eyes.

For years I starved myself so I wouldn’t have a “manish” physic. I was ashamed of who I was. Today I have embraced my ethnic side. I am proud to be a Native American, I am proud of my heritage and where I have come from. I still wear my colored contacts, but I no longer dye my hair blond.

Once upon a time ago I wanted to look like Barbie, these days I want to look like Wonder Women. I think she is more of a role model for women. She’s beautiful and strong, she speaks her mind and she defends what is good.

Wonder Women could tackle 26.2 miles and the hills of San Fran, Barbie can’t.

Happy Training.

No comments:

Post a Comment