Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Push Through the Weakness


As my mileage gets longer I find that I have to walk through my training runs more.

When I did my 22 mile run I was doing a walk run by the end. This in away disappointed me. I so badly want to run the whole 26.2 miles, no walking at all.

I find I will get knee pain or a pain elsewhere in my leg, or my abs will start hurting, or my feet will start hurting and I look at that as an excuse to walk a little when really if I just pushed through the run I would probably feel better in another mile. I think I need to push through those times of weakness, those times of giving up, those times of exhaustion because the pain will end and the race will be over.

There is a difference between injury pain and pain from running the distance. 

I have made it a personal goal of mine to run the whole 26.2 miles.

I have a lot in my favour on marathon day. For one I will be going from elevation to sea level. Not just a few meter elevation but I am a good 1,000 meters above sea level, everyone knows that training at elevation and going to sea level is the best thing ever. Your lungs open up and you can get more oxygen going through your body. I won’t be running 26.2 miles with just Meho, I will be running 26.2 miles with other women just like me, with the same goal as me.

I think I just need to remember that though my body will feel temporary pain there will be no greater joy than finishing a marathon without stopping. What a huge accomplishment for my first marathon.

Happy Training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment