Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 1 - 30 Day Run Challenge


When did you start running and why?
Elizabeth and I on the last mile of the Nike Women's Marathon

I started running in high school we had to run for cross training when I was on my swim team, but once I got injured I didn't run or swim anymore and due to being very active than not being able to be active I started to gain a lot of weight.
In 2009 I decided I needed to start running again, I was very overweight and I hated the way I looked. When I first started running I would literally run for like 30 seconds and walk for a song than when the next song started I would run for 30 seconds again, it was so hard for me. I actually remember the first time I tried to run a 5k. I got a km away from home and thought I was going to die. I called my friend and had her pick me up.
In October 2012 I finished my very first marathon and now I am training to qualify Boston at the Calgary Marathon.
Never in a million years did I ever think I would run a marathon let alone start training to qualify for Boston. However, when Nike Women contact me in May to be an Ambassador and run the Nike Women’s Marathon I was up for the challenge, the training was hard you can read about that in my past blog post. 
While running the marathon around mile 18 I thought I wasn't going to be able to finish, I texted my friend Elizabeth and she gave me encouragement and met me at the last mile and ran it with me she is one of the reasons I complete my first marathon.
Now running is my favorite pass time and I can't wait to run my next marathon and run the Nike Women's Marathon again with my #SistersInNike in May. 

No comments:

Post a Comment