Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 10 & 11 - 30 Day Run Challenge


Where do you run: treadmill, street, track, trail? And why do you prefer running there?
Calgary Running Trail
I prefer to run through the river trails. They are not real trails it is paved pathway down by the river and they run all through Calgary. When I was training for the Nike Women’s Marathon I would start at Heritage Park and I would run all the way downtown and back. I really like running here because it is so beautiful and you don’t feel as if you are in the city so it makes my run a little more peaceful. You are running along side the river and it is always nice to see other runners running along here too, each person gives the other encouragement. I remember this one time running up this hill after a 22 mile run and feeling tired and not wanting to run anymore and these runners where running down the hill cheering me as I ran up, it was a really nice moment knowing that even though I didn't know them or they didn't know me  they were still willing to give me encouragement to finish my run. 
I hate despise running on the treadmill and try to avoid it as much as possible, but sadly I live in Canada and it gets dark and cold here for most months of the year. The cold is run-able because I can wear layers and that is what Nike Hyperwarm is for however, it is harder to run outside when it is dark and you can't really see where you are going. I have been thinking about investing in a headlamp and this is a good idea, but I still get a little scared to run by myself early in the morning, but once I start training again for reals I will be back in the trails again. 
I do enjoy running on a track when I am trying to get my speed faster. I feel that track workouts are the best for increasing pace. I usually try to get a track workout in once every few weeks, but sadly since it is winter right now it is harder for me to get the track workouts in I would like so I am stuck to running tempo’s and intervals at the moment.

What kind of clothes do you run in? Actual running clothes or old t-shirts? Show us a picture!
I would only advise running in actual running clothes. Nike has a great selection of running gear and you can find it on their website.
When I run outside during the winter months I prefer to run in capri’s or running pants along with a running shirt or a coat with a vest over top. Layers are key to running in the winter. You can always take your layers off but if you don’t have them you cannot put them back on. Nike Running recently sent me a really great outdoor running outfit. You can find the post about the clothes here.
In the summer less is more. I prefer to run in Nike Tempo shorts and a tank top. When I start heating up on my run I can begin to get cranky so the less clothes I am wearing the better my run is.
When I run inside on the treadmill the same rule goes for summer running, less is more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment