Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 12 - 30 Day Challenge


How has running changed you or your life?
How hasn't running changed my life!! After I got my injury swimming and hearing the words, you will never swim at a competitive level again, I was heartbroken. I actually remember coming home and crying for days!!
I set out on what my parents called a destructive path. I found new friends who weren't part of the swim team and I was introduced into a world I had no idea existed. All of a sudden I was going to parties and staying out until all hours on the weekend, I no longer had to be up at 4am for swim practice, I didn't have a dietitian monitoring what I ate and I didn't have anyone telling me what to do anymore. I mean I was 19 years old and I was legal in Canada.
My first year of university back in Canada was a little bit of a blur. I maintained a great GPA but I spent more time socializing that working out. I spent more time drinking wine with my friends and eating pizza than I did at the gym. I mean eating pizza and having fun with your friends isn't a problem but it needs to be done in moderation and I was never taught moderation.
In 2009 when I found running it changed my life. I slowly began learning moderation. I realized that I could still have fun and have the occasional glass of wine or pizza without sabotaging my body.
I have also found new friends that also enjoy my love of running. Like minded people always find like minded people. I love having friends who love running as much as I do. It makes it easier to get out there and run if you have a buddy or if you know your friends are out there running also. I have an amazing boyfriend who is a phenomenal runner but he will never admit it. I love surrounding myself who love running just as much as I do.
Running helps me fall in love with myself. There is nothing better than coming home after a long run and knowing that it was my body that got me through that run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment