Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Day 13 - 30 Day Challenge


Have you ever been injured because of running? How?
Yes!! I have and they suck because they can bring setbacks to your training.
In May 2012 at the Mother's Day 10km I got planters fasciitis. Literally it came a week after Nike Women contact me about being a Nike Women’s ambassador. Lucky for me I found an amazing chiro and he really helped heal me. He taught me that injuries come from an imbalance in the body.
You might think you just have an injury in your foot but it is actually stemming from somewhere else in your body, like your calves, knees and hips.
He was the one who got me into rolling out almost nightly. Sometimes I am not the best at it, but I try to stay on top of rolling my muscles out. I know it is important to give my muscles love since I put them through so much on a daily basis.
My chiro took me off running for almost two weeks and did therapy on me, lucky for me I have only had one flare up since I had planters fasciitis. I was able to fix it by stretching and rolling out. It is always a worry in the back of my head that it is going to come back with a vengeance. I try to switch my shoes. I never run on the same pair of shoes two days in a row. 
My second injury came in December it was my knee. This one worried me a lot since my knee cap was coming off of my knee, it was being pushed up by the muscles. It was really gross looking. I was over working muscles and they were pulling on my knee in a weird direction. I learned the importance of cross training with this injury. Though running is fun you have to lift weights to balance out your muscles. I also learned that getting to fast too soon can cause injury. Overdoing it on the intervals can have a negative effect.
Each of my injuries have been pretty minor but they have taught me important lessons of stretching and rolling out and of cross training and weight lifting
My biggest fear is that I will get an injury that will take me out of running but as long as I stay on top of my body and listen that shouldn't happen.  
What is your worst injury? What do you do to counteract it from coming back? 

No comments:

Post a Comment