Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Looking to Speak with a Vegan Elite Runner


Lately I have been hearing about a lot of people going Vegan. I have always had my reservations about it.

I was vegan before, I decided to go vegan while in high school. I had a dietitian and a doctor watching my muscle mass and my coach watching my speed. I started slowly losing muscle and therefore it impacted my speed. Not only did going vegan impact my speed it impacted my body. I started losing my hair and it set me on slippery slope of becoming anorexic.

Many people said I did it wrong, I wasn't getting the proper nutrition, the proper protein. I believe that is false since I had a dietitian assisting in the preparing of 90% of my meals. Someone told me that maybe I was too young and competing at a high level of swimming along with my age could have factored into the hair loss and muscle loss. I was 16 years old and was already underweight.

However, I am not 100% opposed to trying it again. I started searching the internet to find elite runners who are vegan. My search turned up none, but that doesn't mean there isn't any, that just means it isn't documented and that is normal I mean I don’t run around documenting that I love pickles!

I am interested in speaking with a vegan female elite runner to see how they do it. The reason I am interested in a vegan elite runner isn't because I believe I am elite runner but because I am interested in speaking to them about maintaining and building muscle on a vegan diet as well as how it has affected their speed. My BIGGEST fear is that making major changes to my diet will have a negative impact on my speed and I have worked too hard to get where I am to have a negative impact.

It is one step at a time for me. At this moment I am giving up wheat. I recently learned that Gluten is Latin for glue. I wouldn't sit down and eat glue so why am I going to sit down and eat wheat. For me it is stepping stones. I have cleaned up my diet A LOT, not eating anything that has more than 2-3 ingredients in it unless of course I am making it myself and not consuming diet coke.

I am kind of superstitious and until I qualify for Boston in May and speak with an elite vegan runner I don’t think I will be making any drastic changes.

What are your thoughts on Veganism? Do you know any elite vegan runners I can speak to? 

1 comment:

  1. You should check out Rich Roll both on twitter and his podcasts. (@richroll). He is a vegan/plant powered endurance athlete. He's been my inspiration for eating healthy and not afraid to do it.

    He has a great book too that he talks about going plant powered and what it has done for him. It's called Finding Ultra.

    Hope that helps some!

    **He's obviously not a female, but def worth seeing what he does.

    ReplyDelete