Monday, January 14, 2013

Day 3 and 4 - 30 Day Run Challenge


3. What ultimate running goal would you like to accomplish?
My ultimate running goal is to qualify for Boston. It’s my dream!! I am running the Calgary marathon in May with hopes to qualify. For me to do that I have to run my full in under 3:35. I am aiming for a 3:30 time with a pace of 8 minutes per mile. Totally do-able right!! Right!!
My main focus is to push even when my body starts to hurt. I already know I can run a full, but can I run a full in under 3:30!!
During training I am focusing on a lot of tempo runs and speed work. I am working on pushing through even though I want to walk. Let’s face it, our legs give out long before our hearts do and when my legs say they are done that is when the heart has to pick up the slack.
What advice do you have for training for a Boston Qualifier?

4. Tell us about your first race or when you plan to start!
My very first run race was when I was in grade 5. I grew up in a town that was very athletic focused. I remember running the 400m and coming in 1st.Than I remember running the 200m and coming in 3rd. I ran up to my mom and was like "Momma, Momma!! I came in 3rd"!! She looked at me and said "THIRD!!" in a very disgusted tone, lol. At the time I didn't think anything of it all I said was "I know I need to run harder" My mom said all these people stopped and looked at her "she patted my head and was like oh 3rd good" haha. I come from a very competitive family! I was so happy and excited!! It was my very first taste of real racing. I went on to be in the Summer Games that year but not long after that I took up competitive in swimming and that quickly became my life.


Since running in 2009 my most recent race is the Mother’s Day 10km. It was the first time I ran a real race in a long time. It was in 2011. I ran the race in 54:13 and there was nothing I was more proud of than crossing that finish line! It my was my moment. Even though I never trained for the race I think I performed pretty decent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment