Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Cardio Fasting, why it's bad for your muscles.

I often hear people talking about "cardio fasting" and how this will help them lose weight. I cringe everytime I hear this. I am actually guilty of doing it myself. This was before I met Lindy and she explained to me how cardio fasting is actully worst on your body than eating a small before the gym in the morning.

The main fuel of your body during exercise is glycogen, which is carbs that have been broken down and stored in the liver and the muscles – but you cannot store much. After sleeping, your glycogen stores in your liver are depleted by as much as 80 percent. When you wake up and begin exercising, once you have burned through all the stored glycogen your body begins to use muscle tissue to fuel your movements. This is by some evolutionary trick, since muscle takes more energy to preserve and fuel compared to fat, the body uses it for fuel to create less of an energy need. Yikes! So by exercising on an empty stomach you are actually losing muscle and not building it.

No comments:

Post a Comment