Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Women of Inspiration

When I was a young girl I would wait for the Summer Olympics and dream of becoming a great athlete. Sadly, the Summer Olympics only comes once every four years. I would get my dad to buy me tons of Olympics swag and I would watch in awe at these amazing athletes.

I remember watching the 1996 Olympics and watching Brooke Bennett swim the 800m freestyle and she was my idol. She wasn't stick thin like movie stars but she was beautiful and she took control of the water when she was in there. She swam that 800m free and owned it. I also rememeber Dominique Moceanu, as I watched her compete in gymnastics I was impressed with her form and grace.

Somewhere in that year I lost site of myself and began looking up to girls like Cindy Crawford, Gwenyth Paltrow. Skinny girls with the perfect hair, the perfect skin, the perfect body. My life began a downward spiral at this point.

Today I no longer look up to the movie starts like Angelina Jolie, Blake Lively. I know look up to different women.

On of my greatest inspirations is Dara Torres. Dara is in her 40's but looks better than people half her age. She is an amazing athlete and and inspiration to women young and old. Dara is going to Olympic trials to hopefully make London 2012 Olympic Team, I have no doubt she will make that team and we will see her on that podium in London. Good luck Dara and keep continuing to inspire women of all ages. "Water doesn't know age"!

I also have great respect for Shawn Johnson. Seriously, this girl kills on the balance beam! She has such amazing skill and control over her body. I have always loved watching gymnist because they take total control of their body and they are strong and beautiful on the inside and out. Even though Shawn has decided to retire from gymnastics I believe she will continue to inpsire. She's a leader and has a beatiful personality. I can't wait to see where life is going to lead her.

Karen is another one of my women of inspiration. She isn't an athlete that is going to London this year, even though I am pretty sure she could make the team. She just inspires me to push harder and train better. I am so thankful I have had the amazing opportunity to meet her and become friends. When I have days when I don't want to train or I don't want to push as hard I think to myself "Karen is pushing through so should I" I can't wait to meet you.

Elizabeth is another amazing lady who I look to for inspiration. She encourages me to push harder but also encourages me to slow down without having guilt. Something I need to learn how to do. Elizabeth is running Nike Women's Marathon with K and I but she is also running the Chicago Marathon the week before. I like to think of E as Wonder Women.

I am so glad I have great women in my life to look up to and get inspriation from.

1 comment:

  1. You are my inspiration too! I love that we get to run together in SF. Keep inspiring Tiara!

    ReplyDelete